Preview of My Upcoming #RLR2014 Talk
On Monday, October 14th from 6-8pm I'll be presenting at this year's first Racial Literacy Roundtable at Teachers College, Columbia University. I'll be discussing my current research that involves working with court-involved youth in NYC to develop a mobile platform using participatory design and ethnographic methodologies.
Highlights of the talk include:
- An open letter to participants
- An overview of TXT CONNECT
- Definitions and meanings of "court-involved youth"
- Definitions and meanings of participation
- Sharing challenges related to working, designing, and researching in collaborative environments with multiple community stakeholders
- Researcher's reflections
Anyone working with and learning from young people and underrepresented communities; this could be researchers, educators, any adult in the life of a child/teenager, designers, and mediamakers. I also invite audience members to engage in a reflexive group activity with the hopes of generating meaningful discussions about participation, youth cultures, and civic technology.
If you'd like to submit questions for the talk on Monday, please feel free to leave them below in the comments section. I especially welcome questions about issues related to participatory design and working with court-involved youth in New York City.
If you are unable to attend, the talk will be streamed live on Ustream.